Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wednesday! Begining of week 3

We had our mid-term this morning but had the entire afternoon off. We went downtown and tried to get in to the Mary King's Close tour but when they say "early booking recommended" they mean it. We showed up around 12:30 and we couldn't get a tour until 4:30 so we just scheduled to go tomorrow at 4:00.
We went back down the street to Clarinda's for lunch. I had homemade lasagna but I wasn't particularly impressed. I also shared apple pie with ice cream with Lori. The pie was warm and had a crumble crust rather than the traditional american 'weaved' and it was delicious. If there is anything this country got right, it is their desserts!
It started off cloudy and it rained all day. The waiter at Clarinda's told us that this was even strange for them to have this much rain in July. By tonight things have dried up but then the wind starts blowing in. I can't seem to win here!
After lunch it was some more wandering around downtown and then we came back to get ready for a concert tonight. We went back to St. Giles (the church we've been going to, yes there are other churches but we seem to be drawn to this one. It is in the middle of the "Royal Mile" so a lot of things are situated around it) We heard an Organ recital by a internationally renowned German guy who was only 29 and basically didn't stop playing for and hour and a half. It is one of the HUGE pipe organs so the poor guy was moving all 10 fingers and his feet in a million directions at once. It was really interesting to hear and watch.
Now we are back to the dorm. Silly little things happen all day and i can never seem to remember exactly what it was except that we spend a lot of time laughing continuosly. You rarely are in 1 location that everyone around you is speaking the same language and people are everywhere it seems. We do seem to stand out with our Texan politeness but that even happens in big cities in Texas.
As we look towards next week we realize time is flying by and our schedules are booked pretty solid. I'll definately be looking for "Nellie" at Loch Ness this weekend and I'll have my camera ready. If I see her I'll try to catch her, but I have to be careful because it is illigal to kill her if she does exist!
Tomorrow we are off to another art museum and Mary King's Close then I think we will return to study for the 2nd midterm for Fri. and to work on the projects and papers we also have coming up!
I hope you are enjoying the Texsas Heat. I know we'd all be happier if we could find an even medium between the two places.
Kait

3 comments:

  1. The apple pie sure sounds good. Probably a good thing you are doing so much walking. I've gain weight just reading about your culinary adventures. I can't believe you are really going to the Loch Ness, things I've only read about will be a reality for you. Keep up the good work.
    Love ya,
    Aunt N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the fun never stops. Still wish I was there. Leave it to Rudy to want to fish on vacation - sounds like his brother, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kait sounds like your having a great time!! I think you should get a degree in journalism too!! Your picts are amazing!!!!!! P.s we got the AC fixed for FREE at your house!!! Love ya girl! Hallie & Erik

    ReplyDelete