Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday!

Friday doesn't mean much for us. We continue with studies through the weekend, with the afternoons off, but class in the morning.
We were all very exhausted and a little grumpy after our miles and miles of walking and train rides yesterday. The original plan was to visit the national botanical gardens and Rosslyn Chapel. But since it has beenaining for 3 days, he decided we would start with Rosslyn first. The bus that runs to that part of town only runs like every 45 min. so after getting in to the center of town we had to wait for that bus and take it out to Rosslyn, which is the name of the town it is in. We got there and had to hike down a hill to find the church that was honestly, disapointing. I really wish I could come here and tell you all how amazing and fantastic it was, but whether it be the sour mood I was in, the rain, or the truth, I really wasn't impressed.
Don't get me wrong, the detail work in the 500 year old church was really impressive. The problem is that in the last 15 years they have started a renovation project. 10 years ago they built a metal canopy over it to protect it from the rain and allow it to dry out. It had been there so long and endured so much of this Scottish rain that it was begining to grow lots of Algae and it was deteriorating the stone work. Now it is finally dry enough for them to begin restoring the roof.
It almost seems though that one day someone realize "oh wow, this thing is going to fall down, we need to restore it. We need a lot of money, how can we do that.... Oh yeah lets invite alot of people, charge admission and we'll make money" It has become such a tourist area that people forget it is a church. There were so many people walking around this small chapel, which is used for services on Sunday, that you can't even focus much energy on what you are looking at. It was interesting though to see the mix of symbolism used in the church, including pagan beliefs, early Catholic ideals, and things supposed to be connected to the Knights of Templar.
after Rosslyn we were all very grumpy and we returned back to campus. I had given myself a headache from tensing up and shivering, so I took a nap and here I am now.
Several people have e-mail and asked about the simple things here in Scotland and I'll try to answer as much of that as possible. I am really sorry the commenting isn't working! I don't know what the deal is.

Gas prices here are 100.9 pence per liter. 100 Pence is 1 pound and then you have to convert liters to gallons and Pounds to dollars... so by what Dr. Scott says, that equals somewhere around $5 a gallon. Most of the cars and vehicles we don't really have in the states, even the ones made by Ford and VW. They are very tiny 2 door cars that have very good gas mileage. You don't really see many old cars at all. A Ford focus looks like a big car and a Mustang would be enormous. Of course there are exceptions to the rules but generally they are very tiny cars. They pay much more for them too. I also heard that they are charged another tax for owning a car. Its one of the govt. ways of promoting the "green" movement and trying to cut back on traffic congestion. I can't even imagine tryign to drive anywhere here anyway. I would never know which traffic light to look at or which way to go around the "round-a-bouts".
From what I can tell about the normal cuisine it is a lot of Fish products, because Edinburgh is so close to the sea. Fish and Chips is very common, which is just fried fish with french fries which are 'chips' here. Haggis is actually very common, and I still haven't eaten it. It is a sausage like material, I think. It is basically everything left after the sheep has been properly butchered, and cooked with spices. They eat a lot of potato items, which has been nice. Potatos are pretty common and edible however you cook them. They have the 'pies' which is usually a roasted meat with vegetables topped with a bread of some sort. I was expecting like a pot pie, but it wasn't quite like that.
there are several American resteraunts that have made there way to the country. Dominos and Pizza Hut, Subway and Quiznos, TGIFridays and the Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds and Burger King. And actually Burger King seems to be more prevalent here... I'm sure McDonalds isn't happy about that, but it is true. The places that you don't see many American brands are in the grocery stores, becuse they have their own brand of most things we have, and food products are probably not the best to be trying to figure out shipment or new factories here, although Kellogs is here in the form of breakfast cereals. Of course they have Coke products and we've even found Dr. Pepper in several stores, although I've tried to stay away from it. I've found American shampoo and conditioner, soaps, ect.
The prices aren't much different in the fact that something that costs 1 dollar in TX costs about 1 pound here, except because of the exchange rate 1 pound is equal to 1.60ish. So things are a little more expensive compared to what we are paying for them in the states.
We are going to try to make it to see the new Harry Potter movie tomorrow. I personally am not a harry potter fan, but I am interested in the cinema experience in the UK.
This message has gotten a little lengthy and not the most entertaining of them all. I'll update you soon on the movie experience and the other basic things as I think of them. Email me questions if you'd like. kmsoso11@yahoo.com
Have a good HOTT day. It was about 54 today and I was freeeeeeeezing. I could use a little west texas dry heat.
Talk to you soon,
Kaitlyn

3 comments:

  1. I'm here and I enjoyed your blog. Not everyone has to love everything. You are taking us on your trip and we're seeing things thru your eyes. You are doing a great job. Are you sure about the gas price conversions? Erik wants to know about the British Open crowds. bshfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that answered a lot of questions. Thanks. But we would rather be at 55 degrees and freezing. Are you going to the Loch Ness? R & D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if my comments are getting through, but will keep trying. Still sounds like you are having a good time. It is all very interesting to us at home reading about your experiences. Hope all continues to go smoothly.
    Love ya,
    Aunt N

    ReplyDelete