Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday!

We started back to class again today, which is why I didn't blog yesterday. I knew I had a busy week ahead, and I had just finished a non-stop week and I just took a little time to myself. You didn't miss much on Sunday.
We went back to St. Giles for a later service, which allowed us to sleep in a little. We stayed downtown for the rest of the afternoon and went to some shops we had seen things in and found some new places to look. I wouldn't ever imagine that cobblestones and 3 story 200+year old houses would get to be a 'normal' thing to see, but I've gotten there I think. The city is definately beautiful and unique to anything we have in the US. I could live here easily if the dang wind would quit blowing.
We went to a 'high tea' at 3:00 at the Balmoaral Hotel. It is a very fancy hotel and we had a very fancy tea with a variety of finger sandwiches, scones (a glorified biscuit) and cakes. It was enough food for an army. With the tea itself they brough out 'tea cakes' like Granny Dot used to make. That was great for me to have. They had a blackberry jam I tried with them that was fantastic. I tried everything, and most of it was amazing. For most of you, you know that I'm satisfied with Ramen noodles and a ham and cheese sandwich so getting me to try anything new is a stretch.
In the variety was a salmon and cucumber sandwich, which I was determined to try, even though I HATE seafood. I was pretty impressed with myself for even trying, so I took a tiny bite and made a realization. It had fresh Dill on it. I couldn't even taste the salmon because the horrid memories of a month full of fresh dill ran thorugh my senses. I did what I could to swallow it quickly, but the taste just overtook me. I have never had a reaction to a food taste quite like that one. I seriuosly didn't even have a chance to notice how the salmon tasted. Everyone looked at me like I had lost my mind, and I kind of felt like I had, but for those of you who read my blogs from last year, you know that Dill was the last thing I ever wanted to see again... minus the Russian men in speedos.
We finally have sunshine for the first time in a week and the wind won't quit blowing. And it is an icy cold wind coming off of the North Sea (I think) Its just like a tease to wake up in the morning and see blue skies and walk out side and still be miserably cold. The ground has finally dried out enough that the soccer teams are back on the fields. I haven't seen anyone out there for several days.
The Italians are still here, and as annoying as can be. I swear to you that every child between 12-15 from Italy is in Edinburgh right now. You think I am exaggerating, but they are EVERYWHERE, and it isn't just the ones staying on our campus. There are groups of them at different universities all over the city. We are just thankful that they are not in our dorm.
After class, 3:00, we went in to town just for a little while and had an early supper. We've been eating pretty small lunches, and going to bed reasonably early, which makes it easy, and convinient during tourist season, to eat early. I just had a plain old burger, but I made the mistake of putting mustard on it, which was REALLY stong on the vinegar side, but the burger was good over all. It was at a little pub and it came with fries, which were really good, and a little salad.
I have several projects due in the next few days, so I guess I should get some research done.
Thanks again for reading! Kait

1 comment:

  1. Were the tea cakes as good as Granny Dot's? I'd like to have one of hers right now. I'm enjoying your blog very much.
    Love ya,
    Aunt N

    ReplyDelete