Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday, a little sunshine

Today had a little later start, but not by much. We made it to the Royal Botanical Gardens without getting rained on, but it was still a little chilly to really enjoy them too much. The rest of the day's plans was to include a new modern scutpture garden. As soon as we made it to the bus exchange the heavens opened up and just POURED. It was the worst rainfall we've been caught in so far, so Dr. Scott called off the second garden trip and we went back to the University.
I took a little nap and met up with Heather and the Scotts (Dr. Scott, the group leader, his wife Debborah, and their 15 year old daughter Lori) and we went to see the new Harry Potter movie. I was by far the most lost. I haven't watched any of the other movies and haven't read a book since the 3rd one in like 8th grade. Heather updated me throughout so it made sense. Lori wants to watch it in the states when she gets back to see if anything is different. I told her that the only difference is going to be that in the states you will watch the movie full of British accents and walk out hearing Texans, here we watched it with British accents and it never changed when we left. We were still hearing Brittish/Scottish accents.
We met a lady at a bus stop a couple days ago, and I told momma I'd tell you about her. She was an older lady who grew up here during the war. She was just soo excited to talk to us and asking lots of questions. She was definately from a time when your last name mean EVERYTHING. A time of set social classes and monetary value to a name. I had no idea who she was talking about, but I humored her.
She told us, after hearing where we are from, that during the war time everyone was rationed a comb and they used it until it just wasn't usable at all. She said the teeth would fall out and you were left with just pieces of comb left, which they called their 'Texas' comb..... it was full of wide open spaces. I thought that was absolutely hilarious and we told her that TEXAS is indeed full of wide open spaces.
The other thing about this woman, which is something I encountered in Russia too, is that their personal space 'bubble' is MUCH smaller than the American. She just kept getting closer and closer and closer, until she was just barely hovering over me. It gets to be quite uncomfortable but it happens everywhere. In stores and waiting in line, they just seem to be standing right on top of you.
What else. I am NOT sure about the conversion, but thats what Dr. Scott said. No, I haven't noticed any larger crowds bc of the Open. They may get larger after it is over, perhaps? I haven't kept up with that at all. We've stayed busy busy busy.
Tomorrow is church again, at St. Giles. We are having issues finding Catholic churches. They still haven't made a real comback after the Protestant reformation and most of the churches have stayed Anglican or Church of England, which are REALLY close to Catholic in my opinion.
I feel like i'm loosing my mind and can never remember what questions I've answered and which ones I haven't and what I've told who. I'm really glad I was able to do the blog again, even if ya'll are having difficulty answering back, it does make it easier to share with everyone at once. It has ended in a late night again and I'm going to get some sleep to start my day tomorrow.
Have a great Sunday, I'll talk to you soon.
kait

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you've repeated yourself but then, again, my memory keeps disappearing. Saw the Bennets at Pam's wedding. They remember Davd? Scott. They will be in Olney at least one more year. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashes went to see Harry Potter too. A gajillion things for you guys to do in Scotland and in DC and you go to the movies???? Just don't understand!!! Glad you are getting to do so much and glad you're having a good time.

    Lissa

    ReplyDelete