Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday

We had class all day today, which was no fun after having full run of Edinburgh and London for 5 days. Plus, it was raining and very difficult to stay awake. The cloudy rainy weather just makes me really tired, and I took a nap during our lunch break.
After class, Heather and I went in to town to get something Heather had seen in a closed shop on Sunday. We had also found a tea parlor in a guide book we wanted to try, and when we found it at 5 we learned they closed at 4:45, after walking in the rain to get there. We just turned around and went back up the hill and stopped at a fudge shop for a little treat. We each bought some fudge to take with us. We found a little cafe for supper before heading back to the dorms.
This was interesting. We weren't really hungry but wanted something warm during the cold rain and we each found a Baked Potato that sounded edible to us. They have 'stuffed' potatos on the menu as meal items. Mine was called "Chicken, Mayo, Bacon, and Pineapple" lol yes,I actually ordered it. I was concerned about the Mayo, but I figured I could try it anyway. And it came out as a baked potato stuffed with a mayo and roasted chicken 'salad' with "bacon" just layed on top. The bacon here, if I haven't explained before, is more like fried spiral ham. It wasn't sliced or chopped up, just layed on top of the 'salad'. It also came with a shreded lettuce and tomato salad on the side, with my Pineapple slice laying on it.
It was actually not the worst thing I've ever eaten, and I finished most of it. By the end the Mayo was begining to get the best of me, but the potato itself was delicious and cooked perfectly, and actually the potato with Pineapple wasn't bad either. Of course, I am one of those people that actually likes Hawaian pizza with canadian bacon and pineapple. Aaron would understand, he will give me funny looks if I ever order a potato with pineapple, but he'd let me do it. I don't know that I'll ever put mayo on my own potato at home, but the chicken was really good. We each also had a pot of tea with supper, and made it probably one of the best meals I have had while in the UK.... strange I know, but true.
We got home and put away part of our fudge and shared the rest with each other and Pilar, who had stayed back to do laundry and check her email, ect.
During our lunch break a group of our students ended up stuck on the elevator in the dorm, so the dorm lady is not really happy with us. It wasn't neccessarily anything they did, but the first thing she told us as we checked in was to be careful with her elevator, and sure enough americans are in it when it breaks. I was lucky enough not to be one of them, allowing me to get my nap!
It was a pretty uneventful day, minus the magnetic attraction we seem to have to these italian heathens, haha. There is a large group of italian students staying at the same university as us, but not in our dorm, thank goodness, but they eat in the same cafeteria. They are absolutely horrible... probably not any worse than american high school students, but they just seem absolutely obnoxious. Well it seemed that everywhere we went this afternoon they were there. At lunch, on the street when we arrived down town, in the stores, and then when we returned home they were also getting off of a bus! It just seemed like we couldn't get away from them.
Tomorrow we are going to Edinburgh castle and atleast one art museum in the evening that will be considered class time. We plan to go out to Stirling sometime in the coming days, and as a class we will go to Glascow sometime this week and Rosslyn Chapel on Sat. We are also planning to have a High Tea on Sunday, and take a 'ghost tour' one night, as well as a literary tour based on the the lives of the famous Scottish writers. These days will be really busy and soon I will be halfway through my trip! Tomorrow marks the end of the first week and I can hardly believe it.
Have a good day!
Kaitlyn

1 comment:

  1. This isn't working right, again. ugh
    Enjoy your ghost tour, I'll be there in spirit if not in body, esp on the ghost tour. Take it all in for us who can't be there. Luv ya.

    ReplyDelete