Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday, Glascow, Walking, Exhaustion

Today we got up early and headed for Glascow, which is the only other major city in Scotland. It has been said to be one of the greatest cultural areas in Eupope next to London, I'm not sure if I agree but, hey whatever.
I think I have to comment, because I don't think i've really told you before, that we have to take a city bus to get in to the center of town. What is supposed to take 30 min. is actually closer to 45 because of HUGE construction going on which means the traffic is horrible and the bus has to make detours.
So we took the bus in, then caught the train for another 45 min. I had woken up at about 6:40, and for most of you, you know that is about 5 hours earlier than I would prefer, and then riding for 2 hours didn't help my mood!
We made it to Glascow and saw a couple modern exhibits... I'm really not fond of this new post-modernist extremist stuff. We are getting to a point that 'Art' is being stretched to a whole new level and its not even enjoyable for the 'common' person. I have no idea how bananas in a window is art. No clue, and some stuff gets to a whole new level with their topic. Anyway, we did get to go to St. Mungols (I think) cathedral and they have a really extensive exhibit on religion in general, that was interesting. It was kind of quick and easy explanation of most religions and their beliefs and history.
We also went to another really interesting museum, which neither Heather or I can remember the name right now. I still haven't really figured out if I liked it. It was almost too much and too busy for me, but the object of the building was nice.
They tried to do a very educational layout for everyone, young and old. They had interactive displays in each room for children to play with that went along with the topics in each room. Paintings we hung in order of relevance to the genre they were in, not necessarily by artist or anything. I just found it kind of confusing. It would be great for families, but it wasn't really what I was looking for. It was the first museum we've been to that wasn't strictly focused on art and I was hoping to have some more interesting artifacts there. They did have an Egyptian room that was really great and we got to see one painting by Salvador Dali.
Heather is pushing me to share my distraught feelings about the stuffed elephant that was in the natural history portion of the museum. I felt so horrible after reading this elephant's story! They called him Sir Roger the Elephant, and he started life out as a circus elephant, which is bad enough, but then they moved him to a zoo to finish out his years.
We he had a great keeper that would even take him out for walks in the countryside. He was a great elephant and everyone loved him. Well as Sir Roger reached 'manhood' he became violent and uncontrollable because he wanted a female friend! The decided he was too much of a danger and fed him breakfast one morning while several soldiers and a man with an elephant gun came and shot him while he was eating!! They stuffed him and put him on display at the zoo and then moved him to this museum where he was put in a box for three years while they renovated the building aroud him!
I was just totally upset about it, and I am still mortified about the poor elephant's horrible life! Now he is standing around on display for all the world to see and read his story about his uncontrollable hormones!

Ok now that it is off my chest, and you are all throughouly disturbed, I will say goodnight so I can get to bed and get some sleep.
I've enjoyed reading my comments, I know that most of you are having a hard time getting the system to work. I'm not sure what has changed between last year and this year, but I know ya'll are out there, and I hope your enjoying my trip. I haven't ventured in to any dark alleys, and I'm soaking in as much information (and rain) as I can. I am not prepared for the heat stroke I am going to have getting off the plane. Someone should probably suggest that a couple ambulances just meet us at the runway. I'm enjoying myself, and I miss ya'll but I won't lie and say I miss the Texas heat. The Texas flatlands, maybe, but not the heat. Have a good day
Kait

2 comments:

  1. I love your comments about the poor ole elephant! I'm tired and very grumpy and it made me giggle!

    Love you!!
    Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been writing back, but they don't seem to be getting through, oh well, we'll keep trying. It actually rained here last night, and the temp fell to 99, wow what a relief. Keep writing about the cool weather there, it' like a cool breeze to us. Enjoying all your stories and the pics. R & D

    ReplyDelete