Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wed. Thats What??

Today started out in the National Modern Art Museum and the Dean Gallery, which is also a modern art exhibition.
It is pretty easy to say that I am not a modernist. I really enjoy the bright colors and fun things that were done in the 60s and during the Pop art era, but the dark and depressing things, I just don't get. Especially the 'surrealists' that basically believed art should funnel straight from the unconsiousness to the art medium, which means they get totally wierd stuff out of it. Most of the time they had to be chemically altered to see what they see... HAD to.
But we saw a lot of the modern artists, a piece or two by each, none of which I could name for you off the top of my head right now. They just don't make that much of an impact on me. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the works that I did connect with and make note about where done my Russian artists... hmm.
We ate a light lunch downtown and did a little more exploring, but made it home early enough to do laundry, Which on a college campus is ALWAYS an interesting experience.
We were the only ones there when we got there, armed with books and journals to keep us busy. We started laundry, and eventually 7 people speaking a foreign language walk in. (Heriot-Watt, where we are staying, uses its facilities throughout the summer for various activities for young and old... mostly educational, but there are also like Tennis camp and things going on) They wandered around the laundry room that only has 4 washers and 4 dryers and realized they were all full... 3 with out sutff, 1 with stuff that had been there a while. We tried to help them a little, I'm still not sure if we did, but they thenrealized we were native English speakers. One girl approached me and told me she was German (They all were) and that they were there trying to get a Business Administration credit taken care of during the summer so they wouldn't have to take it back home. In short, they have a 1500-2000 word essay as part of their final and she asked if we would help proof it. Of course we agreed, we were BORED. As I went through the paper the first time, correcting basic errors, Heather took on the task of trying to talk to her. It was interesting, but not very difficult. Her paper was actually more well written than some college students in the states, sadly. Heonly mistakes were basic verb usuage, and even when whole sentances had to be re-done it was because the verbs just weren't working well together.
Anyway, I finish my edit, which turned out to be a little more complicated because at one point I looked down at the keyboard to hit the 'delete' key and I giggled outloud because I had just realized that it was a German keyboard and I didn't understand anything other than the basic letters. Also, I just realized I had been making edits like "Today" and it read "Todaz" because the Y and Z on the german keyboard is reversed!
Then Heather takes over. She is an English major, and my corrections allowed her to whiz through it and find bigger issues. We were almost to the last page of the essay, when the "Battery dead, shutting down" (I assume thats what it said, since it was in German, everything in German looks scary) all Three of us do a big sigh and "OOOOooooo" in the exact same tone, like we'd been practicing it for weeks. We hope that she was able to get her computer upstairs and into a plug to recover the work we had done. I feel so horrible for her if it didn't!
That was the excitement for our day. A lot of on-again-off-again rain and sunshine with the high being in the lower 60s.
We head to Glascow tomorrow for more museums and things.
Have a great day! We're over the hump and its Thursday!!... well for me anyway ;)
Kait

3 comments:

  1. Russian blogs work better. Send some cool air this way and a little rain won't hurt, either. Editing now? Ah, the talents you have. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor girl, did you see her again? Wonder if she was able to save the revision? Hot here, but it is July. You won't know what to do next July when you are in Texas and not cool Russia or Scotland. Enjoying the blogs, keep up the good work.
    Love ya,
    Aunt N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. that must have been entertaining!

    Sister

    ReplyDelete